Wednesday, June 4, 2014

all that jazz

So, if any of you out there have been following along, you've probably noticed that my 30 day writing challenge fell a little short. Well, a lot short. The first time I fell behind I thought, Well, I'll just post two in a day... and that worked, for two days. Then, I fell behind again, and thought, I'll just do 30 days non-consecutive.
Foolproof plan, right? Wrong. Dead wrong. It just meant I could put off writing for days on end and not feel bad about it. Totally punched a hole in the whole "30 day challenge".
Then I thought, well, maybe I'll just start it all over. But then I just strayed further and further away from starting over, that I realized I wasn't disciplined enough to actually write for 30 consecutive days. Hell, I couldn't even do a writing journal when I had to for class. How did I expect to be able to commit to writing every day when it was just of my own accord?
But I ran a marathon last year. I should be able to complete any commitment I make now. There should be no excuse available to man for me anymore.
Running a marathon doesn't make you invincible. It doesn't make you super human. It doesn't make you suddenly capable of accomplishing every goal you ever set out to do. Running a marathon simply teaches you that you are capable of doing great things, with a LOT of training. It isn't pretty, it isn't glorious, it won't happen on a whim (even if you're desire to run a marathon came about in a whim). There's an intense amount of concentration and desire behind running a full marathon, especially for someone who never ran one before. But you have to be able to fully commit, no half-assing anything.
And I was half-assing my challenge. I wasn't fully committed to it. I didn't concentrate fully on half of the posts I put up. And that's no way to go about a challenge that the entire world can watch you complete.

So, with that, I gracefully bow out from the challenge. And take this as a lesson, apply marathon training to ALL aspects of life, and you will succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment